A Christmas in Edinburgh

11.1.17


It feels longer than just a couple of weeks since I was walking around Edinburgh on Christmas Eve, holding onto my loves hands as we explored the beautiful city together.

I wish we could have stayed for a few days longer and soak up every piece of the festive season in one of my new favourite places. It was the first time I went away for Christmas without going to visit family, so it was a quiet and peaceful few days with my favourite human. A special one for us, I cherish all the days I get to spend with him, being in a long distance relationship truly makes you appreciate the time you do have with each other. So spending Christmas together in a little cosy flat for a few days made it even better.

We arrived when the storm came in. Walking through the windy streets, stopping for coffee and then to our Airbnb. A sweet little place, perfect for two and close to the city centre. We had a wander around the local area, picked up everything we needed for the Christmas dinner and a few comforting treats. We stayed in for the rest of the evening, hiding away from the storm.

The next day, Christmas Eve, we walked up to Edinburgh Castle. A stunning view of the city and the Scottish hills in the distance. Then walked down the Royal Mile, stepping into some of the little shops along the way. You can get to all the places you need to on foot, especially when your boyfriend is a great navigator and finds the short cuts.

The Christmas market was our next stop, we found the marshmallow kisses straight away. It's a little tradition of ours to share one (or two) when we are at a Christmas market. We had a look at the stalls and admired the Christmas ornaments and trinkets. I had a Baileys coffee and he had a Baileys hot chocolate, he definitely won the best drink game.

We walked a little further and ended up in a little pub in Grassmarket, we warmed ourselves up and watched people go by as the light slipped away. We made our way back to the flat, watched some TV and films under a blanket with a cup of tea and biscuits. A true cosy night in.

On Christmas Day, we started the day off slowly. Opened a few presents in bed and made a hearty breakfast before going for a walk around the city. There is something special about being outside, exploring a city when everything is closed and the streets are quiet on Christmas Day. You have time and space to admire the historic buildings, surrounded by cobbled roads and small lanes. I can see myself living in a place like this.

As we were about to start making our way back, the rain came and completely soaked us. Not how I intended to spend my afternoon but it is strangely a nice little memory I'll always have. We warmed ourselves up, got into comfy clothes and started making dinner. I had a nut roast for my Christmas dinner with all the delicious vegetables, stuffing, roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding. And of course some gooey chocolate cake for dessert.

After filling ourselves up, we drank presecco and got comfortable on the sofa for the rest of the evening. it's the little things like spending time with your love and just being together that makes me feel so incredibly thankful for all that I have. I couldn't have asked for anything more perfect.

It was bittersweet knowing it was our last night. We had a couple of hours in the city before heading back home, I wasn't ready to say goodbye to Edinburgh. I know I'll be back again. Scotland is where I was born and there will always be a place in my heart for this beautiful country. More days like these is all I need.









Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.