A Weekend In The Forest

2.9.16


It’s been over six years since some of my best friends and I went away on a girls holiday, earlier this year we made a promise to ourselves to do it and so we did. The August bank holiday weekend was ideal and coincided with school holidays as we have a teacher in the group. We wanted to keep the cost down and originally looked at beach holidays in Europe but we couldn’t find something that was right for us, we then decided to have a stay-cation and found a cabin in the forest to have a much needed girls break away. 

Sherwood Forest is two hours away (three hours in traffic on the Friday before a bank holiday), so it was far enough that it didn’t feel too close to home. From what we saw of Nottinghamshire countryside it looked quite lovely. We arrived to hundreds and hundreds of trees, I do love a good tree  and there were plenty of them. Our cabin was big enough for the five of us, the views were beautiful and we made dinner before getting straight into the outdoor hot tub with a glass of prosecco each. Ready to relax and enjoy the company of my dear friends. Once the sun went down we got cosy inside with some chocolate treats and a film. I had the most peaceful night sleep, lately I haven't slept well so getting a good rest made me feel so much better. I’m convinced it was down to the calm and quiet surroundings. 

On our first full day we had a wander around to see what we could do and decided to go for a bike ride. We were not exactly prepared for it but we made it through our 2 hour bike ride that really challenged us. I’m so proud of us and despite the difficult hills and sore bum, it was quite enjoyable. The good endorphins were flowing through my mind and body. I now also have so much respect for the British cycling Olympic medallist's, they are incredible! I will definitely go for a bike ride again but will have extra bottles of water and energy bars to get me through it. Thankfully we had the hot tub to unwind in, pizzas ready for dinner and of course more prosecco. Then we watched one of my favourite films Love, Rosie while drinking hot chocolate with marshmallows. 

The next day was more relaxed, I hung out in the forest while the girls were monkeying around doing Go Ape. I’m not great with zip wires and climbing trees so I walked around some quiet paths and sat on a bench with a cup of coffee and a book. It was just how I like to spend my Sunday afternoons. Relaxing outside and doing what I love. 

I felt a little sad to be leaving Sherwood Forest, it was a break I needed and I got to spend a few days with the loveliest girls. I’m so thankful for everything in my life, the adventures I live, the people I have and feeling mostly happy. Time away from every day life is good for the soul. The forest was simply delightful. Hopefully I’ll have more adventures in the forest. 

Post a Comment

latest instagrams

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.