Simple Coffee & Walnut Cake

19.8.15


Now that we're over half way through August, it's only a matter of weeks until the autumn days are here and baking becomes a regular thing in my house. The Great British Bake Off is also back and it inspires those sweet cravings in us all. They baked a walnut cake the other week and as I'm a coffee lover I felt like baking a coffee and walnut cake. I was pleased with how it tasted, not as elegantly decorated as I would have liked but if your Dad says it tastes like a cake from the shop then that's a good sign. I wanted to keep it simple, I'm no expert, I just enjoy baking every now and then. I just found a standard recipe and tweaked it a little. So if you're like me and not very experienced here's how you can get bake your own.

Ingredients 

For the cake 
100 grams butter
50 grams caster sugar
50 grams soft light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
100 grams self-raising flour
50mls strong espresso coffee
50 grams chopped walnuts

For the icing
75 grams butter
100 grams icing sugar
A teaspoon of espresso coffee (if you wish)
Walnut halves to decorate

Preheat the oven to 180C degrees, line and grease a cake tin and leave to the side.
Beat the butter and sugar together into a bowl until light and pale.
Add the eggs one at a time, ensuring the egg is completely mixed in before adding the next egg.
Pour in the coffee and vanilla extract into the bowl and stir well.
Mix in the flour to the wet mixture, then add the walnuts until completely combined.
Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and put in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until cooked, take out of the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
While the cake is cooling you can make the icing, cream the butter and sugar together and then add the coffee and mix well until it's a creamy consistency.
When the cake is cool, spread the icing on top and add the walnut to decorate.

.

Post a Comment

latest instagrams

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.