Book Review: The Year I Met You by Cecelia Ahern

4.3.15


A lot of readers I'm sure have a book that made them fall in love with reading. As a child I did not read much, in my teens I tried to pick up a book more often and it wasn't until I read P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern that I began to love reading. Slowly from then I started to read more and fell in love, I guess I have to thank her for that. It's the only book I've read by Cecelia Ahern and have been meaning to read more of her work. I came across The Year I Met You after the cover attracted me to it, I do love a good illustration on book covers. Then the usual read of the description and decided to give it a read.

The novel follows Jasmine who's life has taken an unexpected change when she is fired from her job. For a person who loves their work it has left her feeling unfulfilled. She keeps herself busy with projects in her house, looking after her sister and watching what one of her neighbours are getting up to late at night. Matt is a radio presenter known for being eccentric and has also been forced to take time off work after a controversial show. He loves his family and he loves to drink but they conflict each other. Both of them don't particularly like each other at first. As the year goes on they learn more about each other and find out more about themselves.

Sometimes I believe that people come into your life for a reason. It could be anything. We may not realise it at the time when we first meet someone but we let them in and without knowing they can shape us into better people. I loved how Ahern has shown this, it's a reminder not to judge a person on first glance. We've all got a story and we're more alike than we think. I felt uplifted when I finished the book and made me think about the people I've met and what they truly mean to me. A good read if you want something easy-going, a few literally laugh-out-loud moments but with substance.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.