The National at the London O2

3.12.14


It is a week later after seeing The National play live and I'm still listening to their discography in attempt to re-live the evening they played a 2 hour set. It was their last stop of the Trouble Will Find Me tour and an incredible one, in my opinion. The National are a band I have known and have listened to for years (thank you One Tree Hill) but only a selected number of songs. When they brought out their latest album it reignited a love for their music. And after hearing them play in an arena that holds 20,000 people yet making it feel so much more intimate I fell in love with the band. The very next day I watched Mistaken for Strangers a documentary style film created by the writer and singer of the band, Matt Berninger's brother Tom.

Whenever I go to see a band or singer live, I always have a song or two I really hope they play. They played all of the ones I wanted. My favourite song, Hard to Find was one I wanted over any others. I know the lyrics by heart and I cannot even tell you how many times I have listened to it. As soon as I heard the opening tune on the piano I knew instantly they were about to play it. We all have those songs that are extra special to us, for whatever reason it may be, this is one of mine. During the song I listened and watched, feeling so content. At certain bars during the song I felt chills down my back.

There were those moments where you were sat so still like that during the night and others you just wanted to stand up, sing and dance. A man sat behind me was singing/shouting along to almost every single song, he should have been up there with them. Of course they played England, when in London, England it is probably a requirement. Then the four song encore ended with Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks, the whole stage was lit and had everyone singing along. I can't imagine what it's like to be singing a song you wrote and play to have thousands of people singing it back to you, it must be quite breathtaking. The band showed their appreciation in between songs, so polite and thankful to everyone, especially to the people that helped them get to where they are now.


Post a Comment

latest instagrams

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.