Blueberry Loaf Cake

18.3.14

As much as I love fruit and veg, along with my aim to try and eat enough each day to get all of the vital nutrients, I find it is not always possible as they are perishable. I try to avoid throwing out food, it's wasteful and it angers me a little. Yesterday as I looked in the fridge I discovered quite a lot of blueberries. I had bought some over a week ago, had a portion or two and my Mum also bought some a day later without realising we already had plenty. Last week I felt a little unwell and had a strange 12 hour fever, this led to a loss of appetite for the rest of the week and I completely forgot about the blueberries. They were over 5 days past the 'best before' date, half of them looked fine but the others were wrinkly. Instead of forcing myself to eat them all at once or throw them out I decided to bake something with them.


A blueberry loaf cake came to mind. I'm always nervous trying out something new in case it taste terrible, however I was pleased with how it turned out and most importantly the taste of it. I would say this is perfect for an afternoon break with a cup of tea or coffee. Something sweet to keep you going and the fruit ingredient to make you feel a little less guilty.

You will need...
250 grams plain flour, 1 and a half teaspoons baking powder, 100 grams unsalted butter, 200 grams caster sugar, 2 eggs, around 300 to 300 grams blueberries, 2 teaspoons orange (or lemon) zest and half a cup of plain yoghurt (I used organic vanilla flavour).

Preheat your oven to 170C degrees. Grease the inside of the tin and leave to the side. Next in a bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder. Add the blueberries and orange zest, combine together. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar to make it light and fluffy. Then add the eggs separately, beating well after each one. Add the yoghurt and mix in. After add the dry ingredients, mix it gently to avoid crushing the blueberries. Scoop the mix into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown. Leave to cool and enjoy.

Please let me know if you have any recipes that use blueberries or share one of your current favourite bakes.

Twitter   |   Instagram   |   Bloglovin'

2 comments

  1. I love blueberry muffins, this looks amazing also though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baked goods is a good way to use up fruit, I reckon. I've never worked with blueberries before though, we don't really buy them! But this looks amaaazing, it would be great with a cup of tea - I have such a cake craving now haha.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.