Thoughts on being pescatarian/vegetarian

15.2.14

Every once in a while the subject of my diet and eating choices arises in conversation. Mostly when in a restaurant with people I haven't seen in a while or it randomly finds itself in a general conversation. With that I always have to answer the same few question. Therefore I decided I would share my thoughts on it.

The correct term for my diet choice is pescatarian, this means I only eat fish and seafood, I don't eat all other forms of meat. No land animals, ever. I would say the majority of the time my diet is vegetarian, I eat fish a maximum of twice a week. Partially for convenience, nutrition value and taste. Sometimes to avoid confusion I say I'm vegetarian to those I first meet. I have eaten this way for around 4 and a half years now. I'm uncertain if I will ever go back to eating meat, the thought of it makes me feel uneasy but who knows.

Image Source

When I'm asked why I decided this because I was previously a meat eater, I don't always have an answer I feel will satisfy most people. The best I can do is explain that I did not eat a lot of meat beforehand, mostly chicken and occasionally pork and beef. Bacon for example I never liked yet almost all meat eaters seem to love it. For the most part I was not too fond of meat. I wanted to see if it would push me to eat more vegetables, it did slightly and I also found that I started to like them more than ever. My taste buds in general have become more sophisticated you could say since then. I'm also an animal lover so over time I started to feel a little uncomfortable eating them after what they go through. I believe that if you are a meat eater you should be able to hunt and kill it, I can't.

Of course I have absolutely no problem or even care what other people choose to eat, with the exception of cannibalism. I don't mind sitting next to someone eating meat, I live with meat eaters and almost every single one of my friends are also. I do feel uneasy handling and cooking meat for others so I avoid it as much as possible. It does bother me slightly when people dismiss my choice like it is bad idea. Especially when I accept every persons choice, it's all down to personal preferences. As long as you're happy and healthy then why not?

Are any of you pescatarian, vegetarian or vegan? What are some of your thoughts?

Twitter   |   Instagram   |   Bloglovin'

5 comments

  1. This was such a great post Natasha! I'm also a pescatarian and I hate it when people look at me like I'm stupid. I've not eaten meat for nearly two years now, and I've found it so easy since I wasn't a massive meat lover in the first place. It's really great though to read something like this, and someone who has the same views as me :-)

    Meg ♡
    http://mynameis-meg.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's always good to know I'm not alone.

      Delete
  2. There is not a thing as the right answer if it comes to the reason why you don't eat meat! Thanks to my health i need meat sometimes so i became semi-vegetarian. ;) people always ask why and i just answer because i don't like meat but it's never good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm this was a very interesting, insightful post. I'd really like to be vegetarian or pescatrian (not sure if I could give up my smoked salmon) but it's really difficult to do so when I live at home with my parents. I don't eat a whole lot of meat though- maybe 3-4 times a week and I always make sure it's organic/free range. When I go away to university and live on my own, I think I'll consider becoming vegetarian. I'd love to see some healthy/cheap/vegetarian recipes for then, all of your recipes look SO good when you post them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Katie. I will admit at first it was slightly difficult but over time you end up getting used to it and it becomes very easy. It's been at the back of my mind to share some veggie meals I eat so I might have to soon!

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.