Book Review: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

18.1.14

Translated from Japanese, Norwegian Wood tells the story of Toru, a serious and brooding university student with a devotion to Naoko who are bonded together by the tragedy of their best friends death. As he adapts to life on campus and faces loneliness he starts to become drawn to fascinating women and fills it with new experiences and as Naoko finds the pressure of life difficult along comes Midori who develops a friendship with Toru.


In the city of Tokyo the thought provoking novel goes through themes that many people in their late teens and twenties can relate to as well as more critical tales, highlighting areas of depression, relationships and other life struggles. While reading I found myself immersed in Murakami's writing and the simple yet carefully chosen words that bring you into the mind of a young man with insightful reflections on the way that people act with one another and attitudes towards natural events. Described in a way a lot like how I would go through my own memories, going into great detail with the important moments yet not lingering on every little thing. Right now after reading this novel I would quite happily take a plane ride to Tokyo, experiencing the culture, eating the food and meeting the people of the thriving city as well as the surrounding towns. For now I will settle with adding every other book Murakami has written until then.

xo Natasha
Twitter   |   Instagram   |   Bloglovin'

3 comments

  1. I've heard lots about this book and the author, and I'd really love to read it in 2014! It's on my book wishlist. Great review, I love the range of features you have on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review! I always like a review that makes me want to head on out to pick up the book, and this did just that. With it being a translation, is it difficult to read at all? That's my only worry with a book like this, that the terminology will be too crazy for my brain, if that makes sense!

    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my review. I was a little worried about that too but I found it as easy as reading a book written by an English speaking/writing author, go for it and pick up the book!

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.