Lip Gloss Stains: YSL & L'Oréal

28.7.13


For the longest time I was not a fan of any type of lip gloss until one day I changed my mind and decided to try the L'Oréal Paris Glam Shine Stain Splash and I liked it. I'm also a sucker for anything YSL and have had my eye on the glossy stains for a while and I had quite a lot of Boots points to use, so I treated myself to it. Both lip products have been known to be quite similar, I'm going to share with you my opinions on them, if they really are alike and worth the money.

L'Oréal Paris Glam Shine Stain Splash 

At £7.99 for a high street/drugstore lip product, it is in my opinion on the upper end of the price scale but still more affordable than high end/designer lip products. When I purchased it there was a very poor range of colours of no more than 5 shades, however recently when I was in Boots I noticed they had a lot more shades. This could be because they wanted to see how well the product was going to do. I really like the colour I picked, a soft pink that is almost nude. A perfect gloss finish with a nice shine, it applies well and easily without looking in a mirror. I found after an hour or two it made my lips feel a bit dry and the colour was completely gone, considering it is supposed to be a stain. This is one reason why I mostly prefer lipsticks because the colour lasts longer on me and rarely dries up my lips. Not having the name of the product I found quite annoying for some reason, aesthetically it may look better but a little strange, there is also unnecessary packaging that does not hold any product and that is a personal annoyance of mine. Overall, for colour and how it applies it is very good but in terms of long lasting and how it feels not so great.

YSL Rouge Pur Couture Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain



A little bit pricey at £22.50 and it is expected from a designer lip product. As per usual YSL have beautiful packaging, I think girls are a lot like magpies, we like pretty, shiny things. I went for a deeper, darker colour in number 10, it is a red with a hint of magenta. I'm just going to say it, I love it. The colour is just what I was looking for, there are also a wide range of colours available. Most importantly it lives up to its name of 'glossy stain' it is a nice non-sticky gloss. I have to be careful when applying it because of how well it stains the lips so I don't accidentally smudge onto my skin, I would say it lasts me over 4 hours, I have not actually counted but one day I applied it at around lunch time, topped up once and the colour was still there when I came home in the late evening. I have found no problem with it making my lips feel dry, overall it is great.

So if I had to choose my favourite I would definitely go for YSL, L'Oréal is good and a lot more affordable. They are similar in the sense that they have the same effect of how they look on the lips. Like most cases when it comes to quality and price, typically a more expensive product is better than one that is cheaper. If it is in your price range I would highly recommend YSL glossy stain, I think I will want some more for myself, it is definitely something for the Christmas list. I might buy the L'Oréal glam shine stain again if I found a colour I really wanted, if this is more your price range there is no harm in trying it for yourself. Everyones lips are different so it is likely that it won't dry your lips as much as mine.

I hope this has been useful to anyone who is thinking of purchasing either product.
xo Natasha
Twitter   |   Instagram   |   Bloglovin'

1 comment

  1. You have a very darling blog! I love these colors especially the YSL. It reminds me of the YSL Volupté i reviewed! Great post dear

    www.cestunejolievie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

latest instagrams

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.