Book Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

19.5.12

This book has been on my to-read list for a long time and I have just finished it after a few months from starting it. At first I was really consumed by the book and was flipping through the pages really quickly but then I started to lose a bit of interest as well as being busy with reading for my seminars. Today I finished the last quarter of the book and I do really like this book. I think if I read this book about 2 or 3 years ago I would have loved it even more. Reading it made me feel very nostalgic and the thoughts that Charlie has are quite similar to the thoughts and feelings that I had when I was 16 years old. If you are around that age I would definitely read this book, even if you are the opposite of a wallflower I am sure you can relate in some way. 


I'm not going to talk about the story because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not read the book, it just goes through a teenage boys life and it is nice to read about a simple persons life instead of an extreme out of this world story and that is why I like it. It touches on the themes of family, friends, life and love. The most important things in the world. I'm quite looking forward to seeing the film adaptation even though the actors chosen for the roles are not what I imagined in my head but I'm hoping it will tell the story as true to the book as possible. 


My favourite quote from the book - 
'So I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we’ll never know most of them. But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still chose wherever we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.'

7 comments

  1. lovely quote, you've inspired me to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh definitely one of my favorite books as a teenager! they filmed the movie where I live & I got to play a waitress in all the restaurant scenes so I'm definitely excited for it to come out too!

    devorelebeaumonstre.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that is amazing, I'll have to look out for you when it comes out! x

      Delete
  3. I've heard a lot of good things about this book! I will have to read it sometime!!

    xx
    Cecilia
    dearestlou.com

    ReplyDelete

latest instagram posts

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.